Sunday, July 09, 2006

SOME Men Care

These Are The Three Sweetest/Romantic Moments Of My Life To Date...
What I Call The Best Days Of My Life EVER!!!

Yesterday after I talked to Myk- I was sitting here in my apt. thinking over my past. Myk & I had just had a conversation and for once in our friendship the tables were turned because he is "mad" about some "thing" going on in his life and I am ecstatic about a new man I have in my life. It got me to realizing that things have not always been so bad for me. No I didn't get Jason Moore, Sean Coffey and more recently my lastest big crushes Polaris, Esco Bar, & My Lil' Squirrel- but I do remember when I did get someone worth having, and since then I have called it the best day of my life! The date:1997, The place: W.H. Kirk Middle School, The boy: Darryl Copeland.

I will never forget how I looked in Jr. High School. At the time I thought I was cute, but I was a hot mess; I was a full breed tomboy with a prissy side? Right! To make a long story short- back then as now, the men I REALLY wanted didn't pay me any mind. I was not very popular, but two of my best friends at the time were Delonte Fomby and Sean Coffey (ironically). They were both athletes who played football, basketball and baseball and even more importantly they were close friends with their teammate Darryl Copeland.

From the time we were in seventh grade, I always did like "Cope". And once our "eighth grade dance" came, I could only dream that he would be my date- but that was OUT OF THE QUESTION. He was a popular athlete and- I was just me, lol. I will never forget hearing all the girls talk about him everyday in the locker room during gym and practice(yes- I once was a jock contrary to popular belief!). Friends would rationalize about who was more eligible to ask him out to the dance and most times I would just sit and rationalize to myself, "all these girls are pretty and popular, they have all the name brand clothes, they all belong to these cliques with other popular girls, but me- I was just a tomboy with a slew of male friends, I had nothing to offer!

It was two weeks before the dance and I had pretty much given up on the idea of "Cope" and I ever talking, let alone going to the dance together. I did somehow convince Sean Coffey to buy a ticket- so if push came to shove, I would sucker him into taking me; but that was as close as I was going to get to a date, so I thought.

I will never forget sitting on the charter bus on the way home from our Cedar Pointe trip. I shared a seat with one of my friends and this girl Nicole sat in the seat behind me and across from her was another one of my class mates Roby. I can recall the agony of listening to her profess her love of "Cope" to his boy Roby. As I sat there- I dug myself emotionally into a deeper ditch... She had the pretty skin, long curly hair, every pair of Jordan's that came out (now I realize none of that shit really matters- if I knew then what I know now, lol) there was no way I could compete with her. The bitch just went on and on about how much they liked each other and how she wish he had made the Cedar Pointe trip because she had planned to ask him to the dance- and right then, my heart broke...

Well, all of five seconds later these words came out of Roby's mouth and to this day I can quote them verbatim, "He is not going to go with you because he wants to take her!" as he pointed my way. I will never forget that moment of relief. He didn't ended up asking me until a Thursday night almost four days later. Fomby called me on three way and initiated what I call the best day of my life. I wore a teal and white dress with white shoes, he had on a black tux, my hair was not in the classic ponytail but done for once and when I walked into the dance on Cope's arm, it was the best feeling ever. I was with the most popular guy in the school, it was an upset- a W that should have never occured, I was with the boy all the other girls wanted and yet HE CHOOSE ME!

It's funny now thinking back, I always complain about the losers I've dated but my senior year I was the infamous date of Michael Pierson who won King at Collinwood's Homecoming when we went together and my boyfriend Maize & Blue was voted most popular and most likely to succeed. Just goes to show- people are never satisfied, even when they've had the best of the best- it's never enough!

My second sweetest moment in life took place a while ago also- but more recently! The date 2002 (March 21st during spring break), The Place: Morrison Tower room 723 (OSU Campus), and the Man: David Lanier. I went through so much bullshit my freshman year with everyone from friends to family. So when I realized my dorm was year around (because of international students) I decided not to go home to Cleveland and stay at OSU over spring break. At the time I was working in Kennedy Commons and I use to meet different guys from all over campus, that's where and how I met Dave. I remember my friend Jori having a crush on him and I do remember introducing them, but somewhere in there we became friends too. He stayed a floor from me in my dorms and we would chat occasionally.

We ran into each other the first day of break and realized that we were both going to be in Columbus the entire time, so he invited me to go on a lunch date the next afternoon. Of course when the time came, I was no where close to being ready, so I im'd him and asked if we could just order in and stay in the dorms. He came up to my room and ordered a large pizza from Papa John's (seeing that my roomie Freda was staying during break too). A while later he went to get the pizza from down stairs and I thought he was never coming back!

I would say about fifteen or twenty minutes passed before he arrived with the two boxes of pizza? I was a little puzzled because I remembered him only ordering one pizza. We all three began to eat, then after all of six minutes of containing my nosy tendencies I asked, "what's in the other box?" and he replied, "open it and see." Of course I am punk and felt a little weirded out by the whole situation so I wouldn't... and Dave finally opened the box in front of me...



I was stunned! As you can see above, inside the box was different colored roses and rose petals- I could have cried! Of course the following year was spent showered in love from my boy Dave. On my birthday he came to surprise me with a bottle of Moet, yet he was surprised when Maize & Blue answered the door. He would leave me encouraging notes and flowers once again during that year. Though, I will never forget how I would walk pass the front desk of Morrison and see floral arrangements damn near once a week. I would always think to myself... I wish someone would send me flowers. Then, the day before classes started my sophomore year, I walked pass and saw a floral arrangement yet again. I was pleasantly surprised after receiving a message from my front desk that they were for me.




It's too bad Dave had to transfer, but he brought a lot of memorable moments to my life. Even now, when we talk on the phone ONCE EVERY SIX MONTHS, or on aim here and there- I feel special and honored to have a friend like him. I remember last year he asked me if I knew what the look on my face looked like the first time he saw me walking out of the doors of Morrison and the first time he gave me flowers. He said that is what he sees every time he looks at my screen name. CLASSIC!

Drum Roll (Damn this entry and getting super long)

The Date: February 14, 2002, The Place: Morrison Tower 1007, The Man: Jamel Gordon

The final sweetest moment of my life came after a long night. Corey Thomas, Jasmine Jordan and I had spent hours looking for a Valentine's gift for his girl. Somewhere in between shopping and starving I got the most gigantic migraine ever. I spent the rest of the night in my dorm room vomiting with a fever. I am no help to the world when I am even slightly sick, so when Jamel continued to call me I ended up cursing him out and hung up on him. I later found out that he was on his way to bring me some soup- so I will forever be in his debt because I acted like a jerk!

Two weeks previous I had been asked to be Jamel's valentine so I came up with the best idea ever. He was so into his frat (Iota Phi Theta) and I had seen a musical bear that was brown and yellow. It took me forever to find the store again, but I bought it and my girl Summar drove me all over to about five store before we could find a voicebox. I recorded his theme song Fuck Them Other Niggas, put it in the bear and combined with a HUGE hershey's kiss and a card- that was his gift.

I was still sick when he came to my room that morning. My hair was all over my head, hadn't showered yet and basically looked like shit. I will never forget he had two bags, a balloon and a rose. He stood half way in the door as he handed me the Victoria Secrets bag with the fragrance PINK (which I still wear to this day), then he gave me the rose and balloon. As we continued to talk I realized that the second bag was from Crystal Classics in City Center. In my head I can remember thinking... damn- who did he get that for! I knew the caliber of the store sense I had spent many hours window shopping there. It's funny because even now, I can still remember thinking to myself, dang- he did it up for his other valentine... but when the boy handed me the bag a few minutes later- I could have fainted.




Jamel would always tell me he felt like he was a cat and I was a mouse because he was always chasing me (which was so untrue). Everyday he would say that to me! Inside the boxes were a SWAROVSKI cat a mice. It was so sweet because the gift played into his infamous line and more importantly it showed me that he knew a lot more about me than I ever knew. I always talk about SWAROVSKI, not with the intentions of someone buying me a gift- but it was refreshing to see that some men listen. I need to try and remember that!... No matter what you look like, how you act or who you are some men listen! Some men care!

No comments: