Monday, August 17, 2009

Men Who Are Taken

Lately, I have been bombarded by men who are taken. Some of these men are in relationships, many are affianced, and the rest are married. I am not "the other woman" type, but at the same time I will not enforce someone else's relationship. I try ignore the men who are married and hope that their marriages get better. When I am approached by men in relationships, I am just thankful that I am not committed to a cheating man. But when it comes to the men who are in relationships and make advances towards me, I must admit I have the tendency to flirt.

I met a boy when I was a girl. I thought he was everything. He befriended me and sent me letters. One summer I got into a relationship with someone else; by then he was a man. He didn't approve of my relationship, but we continued to talk. I broke up with the man I was seeing when I was 20. We talked a lot and he mentioned marriage, but I was still too young. We lost contact and the next time I heard his name come up in conversation he had married another woman. It hadn't even been a year. I wished the best for him, but deep down inside I was sad.

Time came and went and so did his marriage. I thought that maybe Yahweh had thrown me a bone. We got back in contact and talked quite frequently. I visited him several times and every time he moved around the country our friendship got closer. He flew me down to visit him last spring and after he dropped me off at the airport, I never talked to him again. I am not quite sure what happened. Well, I wasn't sure until he myspaced me last week to say that he had married again and now has a step son. I am happy for him.

I started thinking about prayer and how much I have asked Yahweh to bring me someone who is successful but shares my religion. For a long time, even though there was no chemistry, I thought that he was that man. He has a degree and is making six figures. He is nice looking overall and doesn't have any kids. But it wasn't him. This spring, I met another man from the Institute. He seems to be another Mr. Everything. He has a degree and a successful career. He has never been married and doesn't have any children, but he is engaged to an older woman who has a son. I want to be happy for him and wish him the best. But honestly, I wonder what could have been if I would have met him a year ago. Two years ago. Three years ago. Will Yahweh throw me another bone with a taken man?

No comments: